Materials Lifecycle Management
Manage Material Models, Data and Processes with Full Traceability
MaterialCenter is a Materials Lifecycle Management System designed to link material specialists to mechanical simulation. MaterialCenter captures data from integrated processes to ensure full traceability across the enterprise and throughout the product lifecycle. It addresses unique process and data requirements, and drives product innovation in complex materials such as alloys, elastomers, plastics, composites, and many more. MaterialCenter works directly with many commercial CAE products and delivers on-demand commercial Databanks to engineers across the industry.
Drawn from the collective experience of the world’s largest OEMs, MaterialCenter is the single point of entry for all materials related activities including physical test data entry and reduction, multi-scale materials modeling, approval workflow and the export of simulation ready data to analysis. This guarantees that engineers are using a consistent source of approved materials derived from traceable integrated processes, resulting in improved simulation fidelity, reduced data loss and elimination of tedious manual data management activities.
- Interactively interrogate complex data sets for material down-selection analyses
- Work directly from Microsoft Excel to publish and retrieve material data
- Utilize graphical tools to track data usage and distribution
- Gain insight on the lifecycle of materials drawn from a range of sources and values
- Evaluate graphical and functional data using visual curve tools
- MaterialCenter Explorer to integrate MaterialCenter with external CAE applications
Drive Engineering Innovation Using Your Materials
- Dashboards for quick evaluation of materials data management projects and management oversight.
- Work request and approval workflow to keep projects on track.
- All materials-related processes, input and output documented through Audit Trail.
- Process-oriented, automation approach to data management to minimize manual data entry activities.
- Robust and intuitive interface for data search, retrieval and comparison for all data types – tabular, curves, images, etc.
- Web-based interface to data management processes that enable distributed data authoring and maintenance.
- Built-in job queue interface that optimizes execution of materials simulation processes.
- Proven scalability to 100,000s of processes and petabytes of data to meet the needs of engineers for years to come.
- Integrates commercial Databanks for accessing critical materials data that is available in industry.
MaterialCenter Add-in Solutions
Optional modules available with MaterialCenter enable integration with leading CAE platforms and Excel making it easier for users to access the material database without compromising security.
MaterialCenter Explorer provides engineers direct access to MaterialCenter in order to retrieve CAE Models from one or multiple material records. MaterialCenter Explorer allows you to integrate MaterialCenter with the following simulation tools:
- ANSYS Mechanical
Custom applications can integrate and access all features of MaterialCenter Explorer through command options.
Materials data is often generated from test labs and stored onto Excel files of various configurations and templates. MaterialCenter Excel Add-In allows material engineers to work directly with Excel to:
- Publish materials data to MaterialCenter.
- Export materials data onto an unrestricted number of formats and templates.
- Set up new templates for data upload and download.
Secure, Reliable, and Fast Access to Material Data
MaterialCenter Databanks is a comprehensive source of material information needed by engineers for research, product design and development, provided in conveniently accessible electronic format. The databanks are developed and maintained through MSC’s partnerships with premier sources of materials information.
MaterialCenter Databanks fits easily into an organization’s engineering process to achieve high return on investment with the following capabilities:
- Provide designers and engineers with material information in a quick and traceable manner.
- Validate your company’s materials with the latest test data and reference sources from industry.
- Interface with MaterialCenter to optimize searching, material down-selection, and data export.
- Export data to third-party client applications.
- Convert units that adhere to ASTM E-380 standards.
Why MaterialCenter Databanks
- Improve time-to-market: Reliable data readily accessible helps engineers choose the right materials for their designs
- Reduce errors: By accessing data in a standard format from reliable sources, errors due to incorrect inputs can be avoided
- Improve quality: With access to a large number of material alternatives, engineers can choose the optimal set of materials by easily comparing and evaluating multiple design options
- Control costs: By streamlining the process of material selection and standardizing the material selection process, save on material and design costs, and reduce risk.
MMPDS Databank is based on MMPDS-08 (Metallic Materials Properties Development and Standardization) and contains the highest quality, comprehensive, electronic property data on metal alloy systems available. Battelle Memorial Institute maintains this databank, validates data entry, and renders new test data. MMPDS is comprised over 5,000 material records from 15 different material property databases.
The MMPDS-08 Databank currently contains
- Design Mechanical and Physical Property tables from the source document,
- Most of the supporting data tables, and
- Figures that represent the results of numerous different property tests.
The information includes raw or reduced curve data for tests such as
- Tensile and compressive stress-strain (Ramberg-Osgood),
- Percent room temperature value versus temperature for various properties, like coefficient of thermal expansion, conductivity and specific heat.
The MPDB Temperature-Dependent Databank is based on the Windows software product of the same name, developed by JAHM Software, Inc. for use by engineers. This dynamic and rapidly growing databank provides 2,722 materials and 23,197 sets of temperature dependent data in graphical format, fully pedigreed.
Material coverage includes but is not limited to:
- carbon compounds,
- chemical elements,
- ferrous and nonferrous metals,
- optical materials, and
- semiconductor materials.
Analysis-ready properties as functions of temperature including specific heat, elastic modulus, tensile yield strength, coefficient of thermal expansion, are available for these materials in this databank.
The MSC Materials Selector Databank Library is a collection of two Databanks derived from MACHINE DESIGN’s Materials Selector, Penton Media, Inc., Cleveland, OH. The published version was originally compiled from data provided by various materials producers.
The MSC Materials Selector Databank contains over 3200 material records and sections of general information with properties and useful information in a number of categories: mechanical properties, corrosion resistance, fabrication and processing methods, composition, physical properties, available forms, designations and grades, thermal properties and treatments, electrical properties, chemical resistance and properties, etc.