10 ways to be more efficient with CATIA V5
CATIA experts have given us insight into their favorite ways to become more efficient with CATIA.
This ebook compiles a top ten list of how to work smarter with CATIA V5, to address the most common challenges and to
gain the best return on investment.
1. AUTOMATED ENGINEERING
• Retirement of senior engineers and increasing employee
turnover leads to corporate brain drain.
• Design rules are documented but not automatically
enforced and validated against the 3D design.
Businesses leveraging KBE are high-performing companies:
• Reuse 90% of previous work
• Reduce design errors by 30%
• Improve quality by 40%
• Reduce trial and error by 60%
• Protect Intellectual Property
CATIA Knowledge tools are intended to assist engineering
decisions, automate and detect predefined design errors to
achieve maximum process productivity.
Next-generation Knowledge-Based Engineering (KBE)
methods capture and standardize corporate know-how
in order to make it available for reuse, automation and
sustainability of skills.
2. 3D AS A MASTER
Designers waste too much time finding the right information.
Additionally, unsynchronized 2D drawings cause high
downstream cost and quality issues.
Start using 3D as the single reference to establish digital
continuity and drive accuracy into your business. The 2D
drawings are extracted and are always kept in sync with the
Companies using 3D as a master instead of 2D experience:
• 50% reduction in change process requests
• 30% improvement in productivity
• Increased product and process quality
• Share, reuse and consume 3D intelligence on
3. SHEET METAL DESIGN SOLUTIONS
Designing and modifying sheet metal parts with Part Design
can be time consuming and tedious.
Accelerate the complete sheet metal process from design to
manufacturing with the specialized Sheet Metal Design and
Weld Design solutions.
Companies that have adopted CATIA Sheet metal Design have
• 50% productivity gain over Part Design
• Concurrent engineering between the unfolded and folded
states of the 3D part
Rather than having to deal with plain geometry, sheet
metal designers can create associative features such as cut
out stamps, holes and flanges for complex parts, on both
folded and unfolded representations of the part. Included are bending tables, bend radius definition, allowance and sheet
thickness, and stamping tools tables. These allows designers
to ensure compliance with company-defined standards and to ensure design quality.
With the Weld Design app, it becomes straightforward to automatically create 3D welded elements that remain
consistently associative with 2D annotations.
4. SIMULATION-DRIVEN DESIGN WITH SFE
Designers can often struggle with conceptual design
processes because they are not efficient and fast enough.
They also spend a long time waiting for the detailed CAD
models to assess the performance of a design.
CATIA | SFE CONCEPT is essential for early phase simulation-
driven design. It enables effective design space exploration
and ensures product performance at a very early stage.
Businesses using SFE can “simulate the conceptual world”:
• 10x more concepts generated
• 20x faster generation of simulation models
• 10% weight saving with 15% performance improvement
5. TECHNICAL DOCUMENTATION WITH CATIA COMPOSER
Technical communication materials are integral to the overall
product and brand experience. Technical documentation
is often a customer’s first exposure to your products. High
quality documentation differentiates your company and
delivers competitive advantage.
Using CATIA Composer, engineers and non- engineers can directly access the intelligence in 3D CAD models and use it to easily create sophisticated technical communication. The business benefits are real:
• Reduce time to create assembly instructions from 1 month to 1 week
• 50% reduction in assembly process planning and documentation
• Replace lengthy word descriptions with visuals and animations to reduce language localization costs by 50%
CATIA Composer streamlines the creation of 3D technical service manuals and creates a common language for technical communication, animated work instructions, interactive product visualization, and marketing communications while boosting productivity in every department involved.
6. ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
With increasing product complexity comes a greater demand
to produce electrical wire harnesses, yet there is more
pressure to reduce cost while improving quality and reducing
time to market.
Many companies are still using disparate systems for every
electrical harness design process step with integration
between each step usually poor and sometimes even manual.
An integrated 3D electrical development environment
enables the physical design of wire harnesses and cabling in
the context of the Digital Mock-Up.
• Synchronize electrical schematic to 3D design to improve electrical systems quality and consistency.
• Design and optimize electrical 3D harness bundles and
cableways accurately in the context of the full product
and avoid the need for costly physical prototypes, thus
• Route 3D wires and cables to obtain exact bundle
diameters and wire/cable lengths.
The Electrical Engineering solution provides the tools to
manage the electrical behavior of components within the
DMU of a product, from requirements to manufacturing.
7. COMPLEX PLASTIC INJECTION
Plastic injection companies are facing challenges:
• Numerous iterations due to defects resulting from manufacturability issues
• Time spent integrating product design changes
• Low reactivity to evolving engineering or production operation constraints
Specialized apps for tooling design speed up the start of
production by shortening the try out phase:
• Productivity gain up to 50%
• Better quality
• Manufacturing deformation compensation
• Speed up data repair by 30%
Design of complex plastic injection molds is made simpler
with the Mold Tooling Design app. It can be cooperatively
used with any other current or future Design, Simulation,
Deformation, Drafting and Manufacturing app to offer a
highly productive end to end solution from the design of the
molded part to the manufacturing of the associated mold
8. STAMPING DIE
Stamping Die companies are facing these challenges:
• Validate the part position and design for manufacturability
• Reduce design time with specialized features
• Facilitate design for manufacturing collaboration with early process engineering
• Generate tool assembly structure with standard
The design of stamping die tools can be achieved using
formability analysis, operations planning and geometric
analysis. This results in high quality surfaces that are
directly used for the Mold and Die manufacturing process.
CATIA Stamping Die is a discipline-specific set of functions for the optimization of stamping direction, creation of addenda surfaces, trim lines and spring-back compensation,
all with full associativity to the original part geometry. This
• High quality die geometry
• Right-first –time tooling
CATIA Stamping Die Face Design manages all aspects of
conceptual planning through to detailed tooling design of
complex stamped sheet metal parts to ensure high quality
die geometry and right-first-time tooling.
9. REVERSE ENGINEERING
Reverse engineering challenges are:
• Quickly exporting 3D data to 3D printable files.
• Managing, repairing, refining, modifying, , improving and remodeling scan data.
• To accelerate the process using semi-automatic tools.
• Rebuilding exact geometry from any scan data or polygon modeling
Reverse engineering solutions complement the tool making
design by checking a product interferences and optimizing
the product definition to make sure the tooling will fit the
as-built product’s shape and deliver the quality needed.
Reverse Engineering connects digital and physical worlds by
digitalizing existing legacy products.
• A physical scan reconstructs the model at the correct scale.
• The part can then be optimized and reworked to produce a lighter alternative.
10. EXPLORE THE 3DEXPERIENCE PLATFORM
CATIA, powered by the 3DEXPERIENCE platform, provides an instinctive, social and inclusive product development environment featuring real-time concurrent design, world-class 3D modeling and simulation, and a unified data model from design to FEA to manufacturing.
3DEXPERIENCE CATIA goes beyond traditional mechanical design and pushes the limits of large assembly handling, mechanism simulation, model-based systems engineering.
Collaborative Design for CATIA V5 unlocks the power of the platform so CATIA V5 users can benefit from digital continuity throughout product development.
Our experts cannot wait to discuss how 3DEXPERIENCE CATIA can revolutionize the way you conceive, develop and realize cutting edge customer experiences.